Saturday, June 21, 2008

Butterflys, owls, cactuses, turtles, and lions... boy have I been busy!!!

Last weekened I managed to hit up some craft stores that I normally wouldn't be able to go to because they aren't available where I live. Anyways, I mangaged to get my hands on the popular book: Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli. I cannot tell you how excited I was when I got this book. I have had my eyes on it since like forever, but none of the bookstores in my town carry it.
When I got home, I couldn't decide what to make first. I was like a kid in a candy store. Interestingly enough, I ended up making a butterfly that was in the other book I picked up (Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts Amigurumi).
The butterfly was actually a pain in the bum to make. He looked really cute in the pictures, but when I made him, he just looked weird. Here is a picture of him:



What I didn't like about him was his arms and legs. Yes, he did have legs, but I ended up taking them off because they made him look really weird. I did however keep the arms on, but I still don't know if I quite like those.

I used a yarn that I got for 50% off at Jo-Annes for the wings. The yarn was ok to work with, but the instructions for the wings were pretty vague, I am actually suprised that they even turned out.

So, after I finished to butterfly, I decided to work on something from my Amigurumi World book. Of course, before I knew it, I had 3 things done, and it only took me 1 and a half days to do them! Here is a picture:

My favorite is the cactus. She took me the longest to make, but she turned out really cute. I especially like her little flower that she is sporting at the top of her head. :) Of course, my mom, when she saw the cactus said that she needed some spikes and such, and then proceded to try and put toothpicks into it. I put a stop to that right away!

After I had made these cute little creations, I decided to try out Ana's Tiny Amigurumi section of the book. I thought that the turtle was really cute and since I had some down time while babysitting for my friend, I decided to make that.

He turned out cute enough, but I am not quite happy with it. It seems as if something is missing, but I don't know what. Maybe his head is too big, or his shell too long... whatever it is, its just bugging the crud out of me. *sighs*

Lastly, I decided to make a lion for my friend. I have will give it to her tonight, when we go out to see Kung Fu Panda (which I heard is a very funny movie, and I can't wait!). It was her birthday a while back, and I decided this would be a really cute gift for her.


I thought that this one turned out really really cute, and I am almost sad to see him go. I will definatly have to make another one of him. :)

Well, that is just about all for now. :) I am off to go see Kung Fu Panda! Whoo!

No comments: